Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Checking media

2006-07-25 13:30:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Checking media
From: wts at maine.edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:30:32 -0400
I watch my logs and the "errors" file to promptly see what happened when
NetBackup "sees" a tape error.   On all errors, if NetBackup didn't
freeze the tape, I do!  Notes are written to a "blog".   Even if a
problem appears to be a drive, the tape is set to frozen (if assigned)
or directly changed to another pool (see below).

Periodically, I look at the "Media Summary" report (verbose).  If there
are expired, frozen tapes reported, I expire them with bpexpdate and
change them to a pool for just such tapes (I call it the Baudelaire
volume pool).

When my tape drives have time, I do a short erase and then long erase.
If both go OK, the tape gets put back into service.  With a pattern of
problems, the tape is returned to our media vendor.

However, we have more trouble with our LTO-I drives than media.

Is this the sort of thing that interests you?

cheers, wayne