Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Privledges to grant DBAs to do MSSQL restores?

2006-07-20 11:13:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Privledges to grant DBAs to do MSSQL restores?
From: Hadrian.Baron at vegas.com (Hadrian Baron)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:13:41 -0700
Hi everyone,

I am trying to solve the age old issue of giving DBAs control to do
restores from their production MSSQL environment to the development
environment. I was hoping you could help.

Here are my constraints:

1.  User can RDP / log into the development SQL box.
2.  User cannot log into the production SQL box.
3.  User does have full permissions at the SQL level for all databases
in question.
4.  User CANNOT have any admin (or power user) privledges on either the
dev or prod box.
5.  User cannot know the functional account password which SQL and
Netbackup services run as.  That functional account is not a local admin
either.

Environment:
Netbackup 5.0 MP5 on Win2k3, but within a month, NBU 6.0 MPX on Solaris
10.
MSSQL 2000 sitting on Win2k3 enterprise server.  5.0 MP5 client.

The only way I have gotten this to work so far is to give the DBA admin
(or power user from what I've read) on the development box.

Does anyone have ideas, or if Netbackup isn't the right choice, what do
you guys use?

Thanks for your help,

Hadrian Baron
Network Engineer