Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 Drive Speed Poll

2006-07-19 18:24:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 Drive Speed Poll
From: tim.berger at gmail.com (Tim Berger)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:24:13 -0700
On 7/19/06, Bahnmiller, Bryan <BBahnmiller at pier1.com> wrote:

>  Tim,
>

>   If it's ok with you, could you send out a bit more about your setup?
> Hosts, OS, NBU version, buffer configuration and (especially for me) what
> kind of disk array for staging? I've been trying to get our LTO3's to stream
> and so far have been stymied trying to pull data off of the disk ? Clariion
> using either SATA or FC disk and have tried both RAID 5 and RAID 3. AIX
> 5.3, 2 Gb/s FC to disk and tape.
>

>   Thanks,
>
>     Bryan
>

> Bryan Bahnmiller
>
> ISD Business Continuity
>
> Pier 1 Imports, Inc
>
> 817-252-8570

nbu 5.1 MP5 on redhat enterprise 4 using 3ware 9000S controlers with 3ware
raid50 (striped raid 5's).  This is sata with seagate 400GB ST3400832AS
drives.  The newer 9550SX cards are faster.  Just use the bonnie++ benchark
or something similar to see what you raid can do.  Raid 5 will do, but I get
better write performance with "50".  I can get over 300MB/sec reads from
these raids, well over anything i'll need from LTO3 and probably good enough
for LTO4 when that comes out.

The machines are dual xenon 3.4 GHz, 2GB ram with qlogic 2322 fibre channel
cards.

# cat NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
16
# cat SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
524288
# cat SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK
1048576
# cat NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK
16
# cat /usr/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ
65536
# cat /etc/rc.local
echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmall
echo 134217728 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax