Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Space left on Tape

2006-07-18 13:15:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Space left on Tape
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:15:13 -0700 (PDT)
> I was just wondering if there was something which said although certain
> amount of the tape is used as its a DLT  35/70 it has X kb left.

For a particular drive/volume, the manufacturer might have a utility
that can display the exact amount of tape remaining (but due to
compression and error recovery, that amount will a length, not a data
size).  Given particular data, you might be able to come up with a
stronger estimate for how much will fit.

Such utilities would be vendor specific and not supported by Netbackup
or any other backup software I'm aware of.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com