Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Script to audit backups based upon STREAMS files

2006-07-18 11:48:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Script to audit backups based upon STREAMS files
From: fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com (Larry Fahnoe)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:48:41 -0500
Greetings,

Attached is a tarball containing a perl script I wrote to look for
backups that were overdue.  It focuses mainly on full backups and
knows only about frequency based scheduling, so it is not completely
generalized, but it should be of help if someone needs to check up on
the scheduler.  It has an option (-o) to set a floor-threshold on the
number of days overdue, and another (-f) that says to report only on
full backups.  It compares the contents of all the STREAMS files
against policy data looking only at active streams, and then uses
birth-time, retention, and frequency information to determine if a
stream should be reported on.

Usage: bppllist -allpolicies -l | ./audit-coverage.pl [-df] [-o overDueDays]
        -d -- debug
        -f -- report only on FULL backups
        -o days -- report only on backups overdue by more than 'days'

Output is of the form:

client path policy schedule (type) due on DATE (x days overdue)
client path policy schedule (type) INITIAL due

I wrote this due to the number of scheduling problems observed with
NBU 6 when I needed a means of seeing where my biggest problem areas
were.  Please let me know if you either find this of use, or if you
have fixes for it (like adding calendar based scheduling support).

It should work with NetBackup [56] on *IX master servers with perl 5
or better, and probably a Windows master if you have perl and change
the path to netbackup/db/images in the call to File::Find::find().

--Larry

--
Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
952/925-0744      Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com