Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unix Master, Windows Media server possible?

2006-07-17 08:05:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unix Master, Windows Media server possible?
From: marcel.drunenvan at nl.unisys.com (Drunen van, Marcel)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:05:31 +0200
Ed,

On the subject of using multiple names: it can work, as your system
shows. And, it should work, I agree. But, one improper reference and all
sorts of weird behavior starts to occur. When using different names for
interfaces, the NetBIOS name of a system will not be identical as the
name in DNS, and NetBackup will detect inconsistent name resolution and
fail. With Windows systems you do not know at all times what is resolved
in which way. Hence the recommendation to only use one name. Having
traffic redirected over a different interface can be done by binding
orders and host files. (As a side note: the biggest difference between
UNIX and Windows is the quality of the people working with them. Windows
admins are no always chosen for skills but for costs. Having systems
with multiple names complicates things. BTW, not that having multiple IP
addresses is comprehensible for some customers)

On rebooting the master server: correct, UNIX is more highly available
in that sense. Windows 2003 is a lot more stable than older Windows
versions, often I can even achieve a drive change without a reboot (but
strangely enough not always).

On using the GUI from a Windows server when the master is on UNIX:
correct. Again, the admins should be smart enough to understand this. I
often get complaints about the GUI being very slow. Using it from the
master server itself removes a couple of causes. Most of the times the
slow GUI is also caused by name resolution problems, however unlikely
that may seem to some customers.

CU,

Marcel