Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master Server Hostname Change

2006-07-17 07:51:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master Server Hostname Change
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:51:55 -0500
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:08:56AM +0100, Clooney, David wrote:

> Master  Solaris 8  5.1 MP5
> Various Media Servers using SSO , windows sharing there own drives and
> unix sharing theirs.
>
> During the weekend just gone the fqdm name of our master was removed
> from DNS which has obviously caused issues. Was wondering whether anyone
> could shed some advice on the best practice to follow.
>
> 1.What we are are now trying to achieve is to configure the master
> server using its hostname now instead of the fqdm, is there a procedure
> for this or any pitfalls I should watch out for .

Renaming a master server is not supported.  You will cause yourself
many hours of grief trying to do it.  Put the entry back into DNS.

If your master is also a media server, you will create yourself even
more headaches by renaming the server.  You'd be surprised at just how
many places the names are stored.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA