Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Speeds Revisited

2006-07-14 10:00:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Speeds Revisited
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:00:10 -0400
If you're really bored, check out IEEE 802.3

Auto neg is REQUIRED for GigE to establish flow control, so it's no
surprise you don't have a 1000/FULL mode.
Our Ciscos will not let you hardcode a port to 1000/FULL.
When you select 1000Mb/s, the only duplex option available is "Auto",
but there's a bug which untill recently, when we learned better, our
network team was exploiting, that if you hardcode to 100/FULL, then
change speed to 1000, the duplex sticks at FULL.....when it should
actually trip to AUTO.

Anyhow....that's the skinny.....set your switch ports to auto/auto, and
your clients too...if the client is 100, it will neg to 100/FULL, and if
the client is capable, it will neg to 1000/FULL, if one side is auto and
the other hard coded, you'll most likely get stuck at 100/HALF....that
is the correct documented behavior according to the IEEE docs.

Paul