Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6 & Library Based Tape License

2006-07-13 06:46:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 & Library Based Tape License
From: Mike.Wright at morganstanley.com (Wright, Mike (IT))
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:46:38 +0100
Jim,

I think you're getting confused with Backup Exec licensing where more
than 1 tape drive per media server requires an additional license.

NBU Enterprise/Data Centre (which is ALL I've ever seen running across
100s of sites in Europe) allows you to use as many standalone tape
drives as you wish. For library based tape drives you need one Library
Based Tape Drive license PER TAPE DRIVE. If you are sharing tape drives
you need one SSO license PER "physical" TAPE DRIVE.

You are correct that backups to DSU are included in the base license.

Backups to disk are MORE FLEXIBLE than to tape, hence better for slow
clients, but very few disk arrays/VTLs will match the speed of more than
a handful of LTO3 drives running well into their ATS/streaming speed
range (given clients and infrastructure that can deliver continuous data
at the required rates).

Hope that helps.

Mike Wright

Data Protection Engineering

20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | London W14 4QW

Tel +44 207 6774728 | Mob +44 7921 777992