Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 6.0 Upgrade Checklist

2006-07-13 04:15:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 6.0 Upgrade Checklist
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:15:26 -0400
> Looking to take the plunge to 6.0, we need to for SPS2003
> backups.  I am looking for a checklist for the upgrade
> process.  We are a Windows shop, I have a 2003 Master,
> 1 x Win2k3 Media server and 4 x Win2k SAN media servers
> that I need to upgrade.  All servers are at 5.1 MP4.
>
> The 6.0 installation guides are a pain to navigate, and try to
> put a process together, I do not want to re-invent the wheel
> and just looking to see if anyone out there has developed a
> checklist, to guide through the upgrade.

Customers (those with support, at least) have been recommended to open a
case with support before upgrading 5.x to 6.  a) case is already open if
you have a problem, b) support has their own checklist to make sure
nothing gets missed and c) they will want to help you check and clean up
database consistency issues while you're still at 5.x.

> Additionally, there is a lot of thrash about MP's out there,
> wondering if I should go to 6.0 MP3, or is there a better
> place to be at, i.e. MP2, or MP1?

Since MPs include previous fixes, there would have to be a mondo bug in
the latest MP to make me want to use an earlier one.  You can also go to
the Software and Security Alerts page (off of Software Updates and
Downloads) and select any release/MP as a rough gauge.