Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Typical success rates?

2006-06-30 12:01:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Typical success rates?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:01:11 -0500
On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 12:45:40PM +0100, WEAVER, Simon wrote:

> Is it really me, or is 6.0 just badly "rushed out" ?

There were apparently significant rewrites in pieces of the code - media
manager and the scheduler in particular - that have caused issues.  I
believe that many of the problems were caused by people upgrading from
earlier releases, not new customers who started on 6.0.  Testing
upgrades is a tough battle since who really knows what customers have
done to themselves in the past that just happened to have worked in 5.1.
In our case, a bunch of problems were caused by our master server having
2 names - one of the normal internal interface (which we used for our
master server functionality) and one for the backup interface (which we
used as a media server).

I just heard that MP3 was released yesterday.  Fun times ahead!

> Ed - I for one am sticking with MP2 5.1 - its been very very stable, rock
> solid and well put together.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  When you finally *need* (not *want*) the
features of 6.x, then look at upgrading.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org