Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Experiences with DataDomain

2006-06-27 23:06:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Experiences with DataDomain
From: john.thomas at troutmansanders.com (Thomas, John M.)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:06:46 -0400
We have been running 430's in pilot between Hong Kong, Atlanta, and DC
specifically testing the replication piece.  It works very well, and is
effectively allowing us to go tapeless. We will still roll off monthly
or quarterly backups to tape for archiving/long-term storage.

With the incredible results we've seen so far with de-duplication and
compression, we expect to be able to keep at least 90 days of backups
online.  We are currently averaging 25 to 1 compression on the boxes
that have been running for the last 90 days.

We have also seen our backup windows drop down to a fraction of when we
were running to tape (DLT IV and LTO 1).  In one of our sites, with
~100GB of Exchange data, the backup time went from just over 11 hours
down to less than 1 hour.  We have seen similar results on restore
times.  I did not think BackupExec was capable of that kind of
performance.

We will be receiving (3) 460's and (6) 410's this week for our remaining
offices to replace our current tape libraries.  My backup guys can't
wait to get these configured and in place.

John Thomas | IT Manager | 404-885-3742 (office) |
john.thomas at troutmansanders.com