Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Experiences with DataDomain

2006-06-27 22:23:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Experiences with DataDomain
From: esltang at gmail.com (Eddie Tang)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:23:54 -0700
We currently have 3 of the DD460 Restorer products in production and I
have to say that it is one of the best innovations in the data backup
and restore in a while.

Use it to store all SQL, Oracle dumps, Exchange 2003 and as a disk
unit via Netbackup as well.

We're seeing about 12.5x compression for our Exchange backups.   The
cost of the storage alone was well worth the buy for us but having
that capacity optimization allows us to retain up to 30 days on disk
for quick restores is huge.  Performance of the unit allows us to
drive our tape drives adequately and reduced the shoe shining effect
that we've previously seen when backing up from media server directly
to tape.

Can't wait to test out logical replication built into the product over the WAN.

Eddie Tang
Manager, IT Global Operations - Infrastructure Projects and Shared Services
Business Objects Corp.