Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty finalfragments

2006-06-22 20:49:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk-Based backups having empty finalfragments
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:49:41 -0400
> What am I doing wrong?
> I can only get a max maximum of 2GB for Max Frag Size on my
> dstores and dssu's
> NB 5.1 MP4 solaris_9

Bob S - I mentioned NetBackup 6

 > NetBackup 6 has a default disk STU frag size of 0.5TB (see the
 > SAG), so a larger frag size, up to your OS's file-size limit,
 > is also an option.

without making the connection to Kathy's release being 5.1MP3 (the bug
applies to pre-5.1MP5 or pre-6.0MP2).  I leave DSUs at 2000 because it
requires no thought and for portability--no concern about whether the
host OS's max file size handles, say, 4 or 8GB.  That said, I was
surprised recently to find that 2000MB (when will Veritas hire a
programmer that understands binary?) was the max.  The 5.1 SAG documents
the DSU range as 20-2000MB, and 50-1048576MB (hey, a _real_ 2^20!) for
tape.

As an aside, the 6.0 SAG says DSU default is now 0.5TB (selection range
20-524287MB) and the tape default is 1000TB with effectively the same
(50-1048575) specification range as before.  (Could the default _really_
be ~1000 times the max specification?)

I always used to set frag sizes to 1GB (actually 1024 in the dialog box
times 1000 in dumb-programmer-land) to simplify drawing on-the-fly
conclusions from the per-frag transfer rate statistics in bptm.  How
quaint _that_ is becoming.