Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drive paths

2006-06-21 18:31:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drive paths
From: LeeAnne.Pedersen at gov.ab.ca (Lee Anne Pedersen)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:31:03 -0600
I am building a new Windows 2003 master server running NBU 6.0 MP2 to
replace an existing Windows 2000 NBU 4.5 install.

On the current server, I have a script that loads a catalog tape and
does a catalog backup for offsite rotation. Works dandy.

The same script won't work on the new server, and I think it may have to
do with the fact that the new library is fibre-connected instead of
direct SCSI-attached? My drives do not have a drive path such as
\\.\Tape0 in the GUI as they do on the old server. I don't know if that
is normal for fibre-connected hardware. Using tpreq to mount the tape
generates a temp file that has SCSI coordinates of {4,1,0,x} instead and
NetBackup fails trying to write to that path with the error 'open() of
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\nb_mount failed, Incorrect function'. A log shows
'serial number mismatch for drive with SCSI coordinates {4,1,0,2}, path
\\.\Tape0, drive serial number HUL5B01231, expected serial number
<blank>'.

Thanks,
Lee Anne

Lee Anne Pedersen MCP
LAN/Server Analyst

Restructuring & Government Efficiency
DCS Delivery Team E
Ph: 780-427-2504
LeeAnne.Pedersen at gov.ab.ca

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it
is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.