Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fragment size question, something that affects us all..

2006-06-20 09:02:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fragment size question, something that affects us all..
From: jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com (Justin Piszcz)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:02:43 -0400 (EDT)
Finding the sweet spot for the fragment size is a time consuming task as
each of our environments is different.

How much does each 'index' per each fragment take up?

Say I backup 200GB to an LTO2 tape, if I write an index every 2GB, how
much space is lost due to the file markers?

I know the file markers immensely speed up the restores, but what is the
impact of them on backups?  Has anyone thought of this?

Also, what if the fragment size is 32GB and the backup is exactly 32GB?
Are two fragments written or one?

If any of you have thought about this, please comment!

Thanks,

Justin.