Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can Netbackup work on a DHCP network

2006-06-12 16:05:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can Netbackup work on a DHCP network
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:05:22 -0500
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 02:54:46PM -0500, Carl Mathews wrote:
>  Our networks are changing from static IP to DHCP. DHCP
> prevents netbackup from using reverse lookup.

It also prevents you from doing a forward lookup!

>Will Netbackup work on a DHCP network?

If you can't find the server, how can you possibly back it up?  The
*master* server initiates the backup, and if the target server is not
static, there's not a thing you can do for it.

What you can you do is to have your DHCP server always return the same
IP address for the given MAC address.  Then put that entry in your DNS.
That defeats the purpose of DHCP but then DHCP for servers doesn't make
much sense anyway.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA