Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up through a Load Balancer

2006-06-08 13:53:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up through a Load Balancer
From: brooksje at longwood.edu (Brooks, Jason)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:53:37 -0400
We are preparing to introduce load balancer to our environment.  The
servers it would be balancing are web servers in a private IP range.
Management is discussing things swirling around backups, but what is
coming to the fore now is that NBU would have to go though the balancer,
but not be balanced traffic - e.g., straight to the servers on the
particular port.  I foresee this to be a bottleneck, somewhat akin to
backing up through a firewall.  It may not be since it is simply a
module in a Cisco MSFC.

Anyone have experience here?  Better to make one of the servers behind
the balancer a media server?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Brooks