Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Remote Catalog Backup

2006-06-06 11:13:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Remote Catalog Backup
From: jking at hnl.bcm.tmc.edu (Justin King)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:13:15 -0500
Sort of.  I write the catalog to tape, then write it again to disk, then
ZIP the whole thing up.  The raw catalog will compress to around 25% of
it's original size, so you'll probably end up with something around
20GB.  I then burn that to DVD and include it with our weekly offsite
rotation.  It's the "poor man's Vault", but it actually works fairly
well.  I'm doing this through Windows, and it would be exponentially
easier through some UNIX variant.  Look at the dbbackup_notify script.
My catalog is only about 10-12GB uncompressed so YMMV.