Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] (no subject)

2006-05-26 13:52:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] (no subject)
From: ssesar at mitre.org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:52:57 -0400
This is not something that NBU docs would state, rather, it comes from
an understanding of UNIX filesystems and how they are constructed.

So, the basics are, everything is a "file" under UNIX. Directories are
no more than files containing lists of other files (directories, and so
forth).

Each file contains an inode. Inodes contain information about the file
it is attached to. In addition to many other bits of info, ctime, mtime
are stored in inode fields. To read the inode fields of a particular
file, see the stat command.

Therefore, since NBU backs up UNIX filesystems, it also must backup the
associated inodes for each file.

--Steve