Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is v6.0 MP2 safe? I'm confused.

2006-05-25 00:06:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is v6.0 MP2 safe? I'm confused.
From: joe at joe.dk (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 06:06:56 +0200
I had to go to NBU 6.0 because we have been waiting for SPS 2003 support
since SPS 2003 came out.

I upgraded from NBU 5.1 MP4 to NBU 6.0 MP1 without any problems except the
normal EMM stuff (hire a NBU consultant who has done this before, as I did,
is my best advice)

The day MP2 came out I upgraded to that because we also needed Windows 2003
server X64 support.

I have had ONE major problem with NBU 6.0 that has been a pest to figure
out. There is a major problem in NBU 6.0 if you use checkpoint/restart and
this will not be fixed before MP3.

If you have a backup that is using checkpoint/restart and it gets an tape
error all you backups can end up hanging with NBJM going into a loop using
everything it can get on a single thread.

If you remove the checkpoint/restart flag on all your policies that
shouldn't be a problem.

SPS also has some problems. One knows one is that you can only run one
stream without getting problems. This is documented in a technote.

I also have a strange problem with both SPS 2001 and SPS2003 that gives me
error 69 when run automatically from schedule but runs without errors when
started manually. Haven't found out why this is so because it was a real
minor issue for me to run those backups manually each morning and I have
been concentrating on my NBJM problem.

Except the above stuff, NBU 6.0 MP2 has been a good thing in my
installation.

Master and media servers are Windows 2003 server SP1

Tapedrives are STK9940B's

Around 100 clients running almost anything M$ has on the shelves from NT 4.0
to 2003 X64, SQL 6.5 to 2005, SPS, Exchange 2003, BizTalk, M$-CRM and God
knows what else

/johnny

  _____