Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] compression to disk staging unit

2006-05-24 14:23:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] compression to disk staging unit
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:23:15 -0400
This is what Falconstor promotes as one of their features.
You backup server doesn't see the physical library....only the
VTL...then the VTL creates it's barcode inventory by the inventory of
the library....you backup to virtual tape 000001, which is then in the
background duplicated to physical tape 00001 in the phys library.
You have to make conservative estimates of the amount of data that will
fit on a single cart, and hope for the best.

The idea is that if your VTL dies, you rezone your backup server to see
the physical library, and it sees everything, the same as it was
represented by the VTL and you can start restoring directly from
tape....I guess the VTL acts as a proxy/cache to the physical library.

One big issue here is that you have a horribly corrupt catalog if some
data has not be staged back to physical tape at the time of failure, or
whatever the case is.

Your duplication has to be scheduled/configured via the VTL, vs the
media server.

Granted, this is not the only way Falconstor's VTL can be used, but it
is promoted by the company.

Paul