Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] shared memory and BUFFERS with dssu's

2006-05-24 12:32:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] shared memory and BUFFERS with dssu's
From: stumpb at michigan.gov (Bob Stump)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:32:54 -0400

dssu's have 2 stages.
How do I configure stage 1 - read from client and write to media server dssu
How do I configure stage 2 - read media server dssu and write to media server
tape

stage 1 uses according to techtip #273532
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK = 16
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK = 1048576

shared memory requirements
(number_data_buffers * size_data_buffers) * <NUMBER OF ACTIVE BACKUPS AT ANY
GIVEN TIME> * < MPX=1>
(16 *1048576 ) * 48? * 1 = 805306368 = < 1GB
current shared memory configuration
from the /etc/system file:
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=33554432
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=100
33554432 * 100 = 3,355,443,200 = 3GB
I have 32 GB physical memory available.
I am getting error 89's and would like to make more shared memory available.
I don't know why the system admin is only presenting 3GB?
There are NO other applications or databases running on this server.

stage 2 uses
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 16
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 262144
shared memory requirements
(number_data_buffers * size_data_buffers) * number_tape_drives *
max_multiplexing_setting
(16 * 262144) * 14 * 1 = 58720256
and it is dog-slow...again I would like to take advantage of using more shared
memory.