Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 'Frequency' schedule type--let's get it r ight

2006-05-23 12:49:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 'Frequency' schedule type--let's get it r ight
From: Mark.Donaldson at cexp.com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:49:33 -0600
Time for my two-cents on this.

I think it's from the start of the job.  The image name for a backup is
based on the start time of the job, not the completion time.  I'm not
going to prove this but it's pretty easily checked if you want to.

The STREAMS file in the client entry in the database files stores the
last successful backup times.

It's the same time as the last image.

Unless the system is doing a lot of lookups per client when the daemons
are started, which I doubt as it would bring the system to its knees,
then it's probably using these stored times for the "last successful
backup" comparison.

> ls -ltr
total 50
<snip>
-rw-------   1 root     other       4320 May 22 19:54
Unix_FS_1148348891_INCR.f
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other       1115 May 22 19:54
Unix_FS_1148348891_INCR

> sudo cat ../STREAMS
T 0 0
1 1124848113 Unix_FS Full 0,0,172800 0 1 /
1 1146009939 Unix_FS Monthly 0,0,1987200 0 0 /
1 1147824225 Unix_FS Cumu 4,0,172800 0 0 /
1 1148348891 Unix_FS Incr 1,0,86400 0 0 /

So, from the above, the start time of the last job for this client was
1148348891.  The last time recorded for a successful incremental backup
in the streams file is the same.

-M