Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Symantec and Linux support

2006-05-16 13:48:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Symantec and Linux support
From: jlightner AT water DOT com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:48:26 -0400
Actually here we're using a turnkey solution for Oracle RAC so it is
theoretically supported by Oracle on Dell  (in fact they've been the
most helpful when I had Linux questions).  Dell theoretically supports
Linux on their PowerEdge line but in my not so humble opinion their
Linux support sucks wind.  They usually recommend booting from a Windows
or DOS CD to try to resolve issues and couldn't even figure out what was
wrong with a script they themselves wrote to do a recommended update in
Linux.  So far as I can tell they have exactly 2 people in that
department and based on their input so far it appears they were moved
from Windows support rather than having a background in Unix or Linux.
We're planning on going to RedHat for Linux support of RedHat.  I'd
still recommend Dell hardware but would urge anyone looking at it with
Linux to get their OS support from a source other than Dell.

At a prior job it was RedHat all the way for Linux support.  We were
running on the HP PCs at that job and that hardware seemed to do fine as
well.

Another downside to moving from Unix on RISC to Linux on Intel is that
you have to occasionally get into the OS vs Hardware finger pointing.
Since the RISC systems are usually made by the same people making the
Unix that runs on it this discussion is usually internal to the vendor.