Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can this be done?

2006-05-13 04:19:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can this be done?
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:19:18 +0800
------=_Part_34412_29581804.1147508358757

I understand your point Bob, but tend to agree with most of the other
comments. Turning this into more like the sunmanagers list would completely
change the dynamic. I think it's valuable to be able to see all responses a=
people work through a problem together. This is a fantastic mailing list an=
I really don't want to see it changed.

The way I avoid the overflowing inbox issue is that I subscribe to
veritas-bu from gmail, and use a filter to move all veritas-bu messages int=
a folder and archive them. gmail's search features are fantastic and it
greatly increases the value of the information in this mailing list.

I believe I have over 18 months of veritas-bu messages now in my gmail box,
all easily searchable, along with several other busy mailing lists, and I'm
still under 10% capacity.. Plus, I don't have to read or delete each and
every message. At the moment, my veritas-bu folder has 950 unread messages,
which I can read if/when I need to.

I appreciate that not everyone can access gmail from work, but if you can, =
highly recommend it as a receptacle for this and other similar mailing
lists.

The other option is moving to a forum type thing, which, as mentioned, has
been tried before and didn't work out.

Cheers
Dean

On 5/13/06, Bob Stump <stumpb AT michigan DOT gov> wrote:

>  The knowledge and experience level in this group is valuable.
> Unfortunately it is also very busy with a single thread growing into
> multiple replies to all.
> Can the volume be cut down by following this simple etiquette?
>
> 1) originator posts question
> 2) participants reply directly to the originator (not reply all)
> 3) originator collects replies and posts resolution or further enquirers
> 4) participants reply directly to the originator's additional questions
> 5) originator posts solution
>
>  I have already started following the above described procedure and sent
> my replies to the originators only.
> If just the regularly active members follow this etiquette, then perhaps
> we can grow into a larger community.
> I realize that not all will comply because new members are added every
> day.
> But, very unfortunately there are also members that cancel their
> subscription due to the high level of activity.

------=_Part_34412_29581804.1147508358757

I understand your point Bob, but tend to agree with most of the other comme=
nts. Turning this into more like the sunmanagers list would completely chan=
ge the dynamic. I think it's valuable to be able to see all responses as pe=
ople work through a problem together. This is a fantastic mailing list and =
I really don't want to see it changed.
veritas-bu from gmail, and use a filter to move all veritas-bu messages int=
o a folder and archive them. gmail's search features are fantastic and it g=
reatly increases the value of the information in this mailing list.=20
ail box, all easily searchable, along with several other busy mailing lists=
, and I'm still under 10% capacity.. Plus, I don't have to read or delete e=
ach and every message. At the moment, my veritas-bu folder has 950 unread m=
essages, which I can read if/when I need to.
ou can, I highly recommend it as a receptacle for this and other similar ma=
iling lists.<br><br>The other option is moving to a forum type thing, which=
, as mentioned, has been tried before and didn't work out.
06, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Bob Stump</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:stump=
b AT michigan DOT gov">stumpb AT michigan DOT gov</a>&gt;
wrote:</span><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin=
: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

 font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; line-height: n=
ormal; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;">
ultiple replies to all.</div>
er enquirers</div>
stions</div>
t my replies to the originators only.</div>
ps we can grow into a larger community.</div></div>
 day.</div>
ription due to the high level of activity.</div>

------=_Part_34412_29581804.1147508358757--