Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can this be done?

2006-05-12 15:30:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can this be done?
From: wts AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:30:45 -0400
I very much prefer the present operation over Bob's proposal.  Some
thoughts ...

   1. Many problems iterate to a solution and the iteration steps are
      valuable for their information and for gaining an understanding of
      experience or level of trust with each responder.
   2. Many problems are presented by "newbies".  Because of their lack
      of experience, they probably do not (yet) have a good grasp of
      what is important or what is good or bad advice.  The newbie
      summary would not be as valuable.  Perhaps experts would have
      given important information/explanation, but it would lost in the
      summary.
   3. Many problems aren't initially stated with enough information.
      With our current format, everyone learns the information that is
      important.
   4. This group seems to me to be pretty close to being a
      "community".   The proposal would, IMHO, destroy that community
      spirit.
   5. A number of folks spend a considerable amount of their time, and
      sometimes their employers time, helping readers of this mailing
      list.  They may not be so inclined to write to make individual
      replies.  I won't.

However,  that's not to say that we can't strive to all use our time
well.  I (counter-) propose:

   1. If you're not sure, but want to help, send your response
      privately, not to the group.
   2. If you received good advice, tell the group and summarize the good
      advice.
   3. If you received good advice privately, summarize the good advice
      to the group, but leave private details (such as the identity of
      the advice giver) private.
   4. Never, never post just "Thanks".

Finally, does anyone know if the mailing list content is available on
the web or via Atom/RSS?   That might be helpful to Bob or others.  The
Listserv mailing list manager does, but I don't know about Mailman
capabilities.

Hope this helps!

cheers, wayne