Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU setup questions

2006-05-03 17:02:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU setup questions
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 14:02:15 -0700
I am setting up a new NBU v6 environment and have some questions. I will
describe the environment, indicate what we have accomplished so far, and
then pose some questions about our next steps.

The components of the environment are

      Public network with a mix of Gbit & 100Mb hosts, both UNIX and
Windows.
      SAN with Brocade switches and EMC storage.
      ADIC i2000 tape library with 1 public network connection (for
management functions) and
            multiple LT03 tape drives each connected to the SAN.
      1 Solaris master server with a public network attachment and a SAN
connection. Robotic
            control of the tape library is performed through the SAN
connection. I will refer to
            this machine as MASTER.
      2 Solaris media servers, each with a public network attachment and a
SAN connection. Both
            function as file servers using SAN disks for storage. I will
refer to these machines as
            MEDIA_S1 and MEDIA_S2.
      2 Windows media servers, each with a public network attachment and a
SAN connection. Both
            function as file servers using SAN disks for storage. I will
refer to these machines as
            MEDIA_W1 and MEDIA_W2.
      1 NDMP host with a public network attachment and a SAN connection. It
functions as a file
            server using SAN disks for storage. I will refer to this
machine as NDMP_CLIENT.
            The machine is an EMC Celerra Datamover.
      Multiple UNIX & Windows clients on the public network.

So far we have

      Configured MASTER so that it can see and write to the LT03 tape
drives using
            native utilities, such as ufsdump and tar.
      Installed NetBackup 6.0 enterprise server software on MASTER.
      Configured NBU on MASTER so that is sees the ADIC robotics and the
LT03
            tape drives.
      On MASTER created a policy for backing up MASTER and tested running a
full backup
            successfully.
      On MASTER created a policy for backup up UNIX clients, added one
client and tested running
            a full backup successfully.
      Configured MEDIA_S1 so that it can see and write to the LT03 tape
drives using native utilities,
            such as ufsdump and tar.

The relationship of MASTER to traditional clients is easy and I have done
this before, so there are no questions in that regard. But I have never
dealt with separate media servers or with NDMP in a NetBackup environment,
so I have several questions.

The next step I want to accomplish is to install NBU on MEDIA_S1. Questions
related to this are

      1) I believe that I need to install the NBU media server software
directly on MEDIA_S1 from a
            CD distribution. Is this correct? I don't push software from
MASTER to MEDIA_S1
            like software gets pushed to machines which are just clients?
      2) Do I need to configure NBU on MEDIA_S1 just like I did on MASTER
in terms of seeing
            the ADIC robotics and LT03 tape drives?
      3) MEDIA_S1 will only backup itself. What needs to be done on which
machines in order to
            accomplish this? Do I create a policy to do this on MEDIA_S1 or
on MASTER?
            Which machine actually initiates and controls the backup of
MEDIA_S1? Is
            MASTER involved at all, and if so, how?

Next I want to set up backups for NDMP_CLIENT. Questions related to this
are:

      4) I don't believe that I need to install anything on NDMP_CLIENT, is
this correct?
            My understanding of NDMP hosts is that they come with an NDMP
module to
            which the backup server interfaces.
      5) Do I need to install any software on MASTER to specifically deal
with NDMP_CLIENT,
            or is it sufficient to create a policy for it with the client
configured as being an NDMP host?
      6) Is there some sort of username/pw for NDMP_CLIENT which must be
configured into
            MASTER?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sure I'll have many more questions.
Feel free to send email to me directly if you want to expound at length. If
you know of anything like a "NetBackup for Dummies" document on the web,
send me the link.

Jeff Dykzeul
jeffrey_dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com