Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB + Micosoft Exchange + Health Checks ...

2006-05-02 09:11:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB + Micosoft Exchange + Health Checks ...
From: JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:11:21 -0400
The only utility I am aware of is called ESEUTIL and it comes with
Exchange.  It checks the integrity of the database and streaming files
and corrects any errors.  The only problem with it, is that the
Information Store has to be offline to use it (and it takes forever!)
Its more of a major problem recovery tool than a day to day utility.

I've only seen corruption once in my seven years working with Exchange
and it was on Exchange 2000 and was probably more due to a faulty RAID-5
Array than Exchange itself.  If your Exchange admin fears corruption, he
probably has a reason to and you should deal with that issue instead of
running nightly full backups to cover it up.  Then again, maybe he/she's
just paranoid.  =)

-Jonathan