Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience

2006-04-28 11:39:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience
From: Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com (Matthew Stier)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:39:46 -0400
--------------080308000403000100070809

--------------040009000200000604040907

VTL licensing was based upon the number of drives, and has or will
transition to capacity of the library.

DSSU is a freebie included in NetBackup 5.x+.

Shyam Hazari wrote:
> [...]
>
>     With the recording speeds of todays tape drives, you have to put some
>     kind of disk in front of them, to ensure you have a steady stream of
>     data to record.  Without it, your just going to wear out the drives,
>     even faster than before.  And no matter how fast tape drives get, they
>     will never match the throughput of disk, and thus never match them, in
>     reducing backup windows.
>
>     I recently (January) replaced a six drive DLT7000 library with an
>     Overland Storage NEO8000/REO9000 combination.  The performance
>     difference is dramatic. And with plenty of disk, in the second "D" in
>     "D2D2T" the wear on the tape drives have been drastically reduced. It
>     has taken 4 months to reach the 100 hours "milestone" of per-drive
>     wear.
>     Something I did on a weekly basis with the DLT7000's.
>
>     I originally looked at the REO9000 with the intent to use it as a VTL,
>     but (NetBackup) licensing costs, and the virtual media overhead I
>     encountered, in that mode, I chose to simply slice it up onto 1 TB
>     partitions, mount them on my media server (Sun Enterprise 450 running
>     Solaris 8) and use them as Disk Storage Staging Units (DSSU).
>
>     VTL's do have their strengths.  Nearly a unlimited number of virtual
>     drives; and by using smaller virtual media; a high flexibility in the
>     allocation of disk amongst numerous policies.  They are nearly the
>     only
>     solution in situations, where the disk staging on the media server is
>     not an option. Many VTL manufacturers are also PTL manufactures, and
>     often tightly couple their offering. Even to the point of staging data
>     from disk to tape, outside the scope of the backup software.
>
>     DSSU's do have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with
>     one-to-one
>     ration between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
>     with a multitude of policies to manage, I can see them having
>     problems.
>
>     Steven L. Sesar wrote:
>     > We're in the process of rearchitecting our BUR infrastructure. The
>     > most profound change will be the addition of disk storage, as we
>     are
>     > 100% tape, right now. We're considering a few different disk
>     > technologies, such as VTL, DataDomain NAS heads, as well as
>     > traditional DSU/DSSUs.
>     >
>     > I've heard anecdotal evidence that DSU/DSSU functionality in NBU 5.1
>     > is less-than-stellar. Would anyone care to share their overall
>     > experience with  disk storage?
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Steve
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
>     <mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
VTL licensing was based upon the number of drives, and has or will
transition to capacity of the library.<br>
DSSU is a freebie included in NetBackup 5.x+.<br>
Shyam Hazari wrote:
 cite="mid272b4fbb0604280607j5624df28t27b80bf1812a297 AT mail.gmail DOT com"
 type="cite">
as I know, VTL is based on capacity. Is their a licensing requirement
for DSSU as well ?</div>
&nbsp;</div>
 class="gmail_sendername">Matthew Stier</b> &lt;<a
 href="mailto:Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com">Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu
DOT com</a>&gt;
wrote:</span>
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;
padding-left: 1ex;">With
the recording speeds of todays tape drives, you have to put some<br>
kind of disk in front of them, to ensure you have a steady stream of
data to record.&nbsp;&nbsp;Without it, your just going to wear out the
drives,<br>
even faster than before.&nbsp;&nbsp;And no matter how fast tape drives get,
they<br>
will never match the throughput of disk, and thus never match them, in<br>
reducing backup windows.<br>
I recently (January) replaced a six drive DLT7000 library with an<br>
Overland Storage NEO8000/REO9000 combination.&nbsp;&nbsp;The performance<br>
difference is dramatic. And with plenty of disk, in the second "D" in
"D2D2T" the wear on the tape drives have been drastically reduced. It<br>
has taken 4 months to reach the 100 hours "milestone" of per-drive wear.<br>
Something I did on a weekly basis with the DLT7000's.
I originally looked at the REO9000 with the intent to use it as a VTL,<br>
but (NetBackup) licensing costs, and the virtual media overhead I<br>
encountered, in that mode, I chose to simply slice it up onto 1 TB<br>
partitions, mount them on my media server (Sun Enterprise 450 running<br>
Solaris 8) and use them as Disk Storage Staging Units (DSSU).<br>
VTL's do have their strengths.&nbsp;&nbsp;Nearly a unlimited number of
virtual<br>
drives; and by using smaller virtual media; a high flexibility in the
allocation of disk amongst numerous policies.&nbsp;&nbsp;They are nearly the
only<br>
solution in situations, where the disk staging on the media server is<br>
not an option. Many VTL manufacturers are also PTL manufactures, and<br>
often tightly couple their offering. Even to the point of staging data<br>
from disk to tape, outside the scope of the backup software.<br>
DSSU's do have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with one-to-one<br>
ration between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
with a multitude of policies to manage, I can see them having problems.<br>
Steven L. Sesar wrote:<br>
&gt; We're in the process of rearchitecting our BUR infrastructure. The<br>
&gt; most profound change will be the addition of disk storage, as we
are
&gt; 100% tape, right now. We're considering a few different disk<br>
&gt; technologies, such as VTL, DataDomain NAS heads, as well as<br>
&gt; traditional DSU/DSSUs.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I've heard anecdotal evidence that DSU/DSSU functionality in NBU
5.1<br>
&gt; is less-than-stellar. Would anyone care to share their overall<br>
&gt; experience with&nbsp;&nbsp;disk storage?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Steve<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; _______________________________________________
&gt; Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a
 href="mailto:Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu">Veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a><br>
&gt; <a

    </a><br>

--------------040009000200000604040907--

--------------080308000403000100070809

begin:vcard
fn:Matthew Stier
n:Stier;Matthew
org:Fujitsu Network Communications;CAE
adr:Sixth Floor;;Two Blue Hill Plaza;Pearl River;NY;10965;USA
email;internet:Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com
title:Principal Engineer
tel;work:845-731-2097
tel;fax:845-731-2011
tel;cell:845-893-0575