Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BACKUP ARCHITECTURE

2006-04-28 04:02:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BACKUP ARCHITECTURE
From: nouresh AT gmail DOT com (Nouresh)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:32:33 +0530
------=_Part_4560_86228.1146211353509

Hey every1,

As a newbie to NBU, i would expect a little help from you all
Before throwing my queries, little explanation of my existing backup
architecture.

Netbackup 5.1 MP3
Media Server: HP StorageWorks MSL 6000
Tapes: HP Ultrium LTO3 cartridges 800GB
Database Server: Oracle 10G
Network: Fibre Optics
SAN Storage: HP StorageWorks MSA 1000

We are having two database server which are in a cluster(VCS). Both have
gone live, thats the reason i cant do much RND on it.
Right now, NBU is taking backup of Oracle DB as per scheduled. Oracle
Database is on SAN. Now in the policy, Ive defined both the DB servers
hostnames in the clients list.
e.g.
db1.domain.com
db2.domain.com

Our Primary Node is db1.domain.com. So NBU is taking DB backup from db1.

Question 1: But incase of any failover, will NBU take database backup from
db2.

Question 2: As per now Im having only one LTO3 tape (800GB). Management
needs full backup everyday. The Database is around 5GB,
which will grow in future. I thought of keeping retention period for 1 week=
,
as its a daily backup.
What would you'all suggest should i go for full or incremental.
Will there any be problem while restoring, if the backup is incremental.

What the NBU masters would have plan their architecture?

Cheers,
Nouresh

------=_Part_4560_86228.1146211353509

Hey every1,<br>

As a newbie to NBU, i would expect a little help from you all<br>

Before throwing my queries, little explanation of my existing backup archit=
ecture.<br>

Netbackup 5.1 MP3<br>

Media Server: HP StorageWorks MSL 6000<br>

Tapes: HP Ultrium LTO3 cartridges 800GB<br>

Database Server: Oracle 10G<br>

Network: Fibre Optics<br>

SAN Storage: HP StorageWorks MSA 1000 <br>

We are having two database server which are in a cluster(VCS). Both have go=
ne live, thats the reason i cant do much RND on it.<br>

Right now, NBU is taking backup of Oracle DB as per scheduled. Oracle
Database is on SAN. Now in the policy, Ive defined both the DB servers
hostnames in the clients list.<br>

e.g.<br>

Our Primary Node is <a href=3D"http://db1.domain.com";>db1.domain.com</a>. S=
o NBU is taking DB backup from db1.<br>

Question 1: But incase of any failover, will NBU take database backup from =
db2. <br>

Question 2: As per now Im having only one LTO3 tape (800GB). Management nee=
ds full backup everyday. The Database is around 5GB, <br>

which will grow in future. I thought of keeping retention period for 1 week=
, as its a daily backup.<br>

What would you'all suggest should i go for full or incremental. <br>

Will there any be problem while restoring, if the backup is incremental.<br=

What the NBU masters would have plan their architecture?<br>

&nbsp;<br>

Cheers,<br>

Nouresh<br>

------=_Part_4560_86228.1146211353509--