Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 13:07:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: GreenbergKA AT aetna DOT com (Greenberg, Katherine A)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:07:44 -0400
OK boys, (and girls, altho we seem to be generally keeping our mouths
shut on this one!) to summarize...

1. Yes, you can have multiple retentions on a single piece of media. We
have established this at least 40000 times on this list. However, it is
not recommended to do. (unless your life sucks like Jonathan's here)

2. Volume pool configuration is really up to the individual shop.
PERSONALLY, I do not use the NetBackup pool for anything but catalogue
tapes. If you opt for the 1 POOL configuration, your best bet would be
to make an alternate pool, set your policies up to use it and then throw
everything into it.

3. If you opt for Multiple Volume Pools, best practice is to utilize a
SCRATCH POOL and let NetBackup divvy the tapes up accordingly. Post-4.5,
if a tape starts in SCRATCH, it will be returned to SCRATCH once it's
de-assigned.

I, personally, use Volume pools based on the Environment which they back
up (Corporate, Web, etc.). I also use volume pools for duplicated tapes.
I support a 250 + TB environment and this works well for me.

Breaking things out and micro-managing this application is really not
necessary. As long as it's set up intelligently, it will self-manage,
unless something in your environment breaks.

~Kate