Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] single instance backup for message attachments

2006-04-26 12:20:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] single instance backup for message attachments
From: wtsmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:20:50 -0400
When a mail file with an attachment is addressed to 2 or more of your
exchange server clients, the attachment is stored only once and, with
your NetBackup setting, backed up only once.

If you've a lot of multiple-recipient mail (same exact, came into your
server in one blob, mail) with attachments, this setting can help. My
exchange server folks think they do this a lot, but in practice I see
little or no effect on backup/restore times.

Mailbox backup is snail-slow compared to DB backups.

cheers, wayne