Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 12:14:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:14:35 +0100
I think that my words have been taken out of context. I know you cant
and shouldn't mix retentions on media which is why i find it hard that
people use 1 media pool for all backups. From that i would assume they
have the same retention for all backups. This in my opinion which is
only my opinion is a bad idea.

To give advise to the original thread i was saying that one volume pool
for all backups is perhaps not the right way to do things and i was
surprised by the number of people who seemed to adopt it.  I asked about
mixed retentions as people with 1 volume pool cannot ( safely ) then
have a full backup with a different retention than say a cumulative backup.

Cheers