Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 11:57:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: wtsmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:57:00 -0400
Dave Markham wrote, in part,  on 4/26/2006 5:28 AM:
> I am surprised by the number of people using a single volume pool for
> data backups. What about mixed retentions on media?

My feeling is that not many shops mix retentions on a tape volume.  I
don't, so maybe that's why. ;-)

If you decide you must separate daily from weekly from monthly, and they
share the same retention, then you probably need separate Volume Pools
and you specify a separate volume pool in each policy schedule.  I don't
see the need and don't ;-)

In case it's unclear to those folks new to NetBackup, a Volume Pool can
hold tapes that are free or assigned, and if assigned, be of any and
various retentions.

cheers, wayne