Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]

2006-04-26 11:44:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Volume Pools [recommendations please]
From: wtsmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:44:51 -0400
Wilkinson, Alex wrote, in part,  on 4/26/2006 9:27 AM:
> 1. You say tapes with errors will be moved to the "none" pool. I was under the
>    impression they would be 'frozen' and left in their orginating Volume Pool
> ?

NetBackup never moves tapes to NONE.  You are right that a frozen tape
is an assigned tape and can't be moved from its current pool.

However, some of us unfreeze the tape and "change" it from it's current
pool to a "cesspool"  (I use "Baudelaire"), where it sits until I get a
chance to erase it, test it, eye-ball it or whatever, before putting it
back in service or discarding it.   The key for me is that I can't erase
it while it is assigned.  If I just bpexpdate (expire) it, it will go
back to Scratch and be available for a new write.

> 2. What is the "DataStore" Pool actually designed to be used for ?

Good question!  I have no idea.

> 3. You mention that cleaning tapes would go into the "None" pool. I was
> origally
>     thinking of creating a "CLN" pool. Bad idea ?

You have some options wrt cleaning your tape drives.  If your library
does it, NetBackup doesn't even see the cleaning tape.  If NetBackup is
to use them, I think (skepticism = high!) the cleaning tape(s) must be
in the NONE pool.

cheers, wayne