Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow performance problem, cause unknown

2006-04-24 04:05:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow performance problem, cause unknown
From: Tristan.Ball AT vsl.com DOT au (Tristan Ball)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:05:28 +1000
My initial response is to check for the obvious/frequent issues..

* Did you add the NET_BUFFER_SIZE to server and client?
* What's being backed up? Lots of small files in big directories are famous
for causing _really_ slow backups - and I'm guessing you've only got 1 or 2
drives in the U60?
* What's your tape media's required rate? If you're using LTO-2/3 drives,
and feeding them at 2000kb/sec, you're going to have problems with them
shoeshining.
* Is there a network bottleneck? Duplex or autonegotation issues?
* Is there a disk bottleneck? I'm a fan of "iostat -dxzcn". Look for high
asvc_t times..

If there's nothing obvious wrong there, then you're best of turning up the
debugging and looking at that. The link that Richard Mansell sent you is a
good start, even on the Sun's, and the 6.0 planning and tuning guide goes
into the same stuff, in more detail, and I believe most of it is still valid
on a 5.0 system - in particular the wait & delay counters stuff..
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281842 is the link.

Regards,
    Tristan.