Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] schedule list?

2006-02-27 18:14:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] schedule list?
From: wts AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:14:25 -0500
My "longer backup window" remark referred to my experience of backup
windows with various retention backups running and with MPX>1.

For example, I have 5 tape drives for backups and multiplex 6 streams
(for most backups) to each tape.  If I have only one retention for all
backups, then I can have 30 backups running at any point in time and
when any of those 30 finishes, the next (queued) backup will take its
place.  However, if I have two different retentions, it is possible to
have all or most tape drives busy with one retention, while I may have
dozens or hundreds of backups to do with the other retention.  It's not
so much a problem when everything runs quickly, but if multi-hour
backups get started on different drives, the effective MPX can approach
1 instead of 6.

(I've never tried to combine frequency-based with calendar-based
schedules in one policy).

cheers, wayne