Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN Media Server Backup Another Client

2006-02-22 07:28:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN Media Server Backup Another Client
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:28:50 -0600
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:21:40AM -0000, WEAVER, Simon wrote:

> 40 x Client Machines backed up by NBU Master
> 2 x NBU SAN Media Servers Backup themselves
>
> Now I have a client Server (Win2k3) that is sharing a SAN Array as the Media
> Servers. This is going to be my Windows Roaming Profile Server, therefore
> thousands of files will be backed up on a regular basis.
>
> Is it possible for one of the SAN Media Servers to Backup this 1 client. I
> am not convinced it will work or maybe not allowed but perhaps someone can
> clarify.

Isn't allowed and I don't think it will work.  SAN Media Servers only
back up themselves.

> My objective was to try and do Disk Backups without the need to introduce a
> 3rd SAN Media Server.

You don't need to add another SAN Media Server - just make the one SAN
Media Server a full media server.  It can then back up as many clients
as you want (including itself).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA