Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup Oracle Module vs Oracle RMAN

2006-02-16 17:23:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup Oracle Module vs Oracle RMAN
From: Michael.F.Lavelle AT abbott DOT com (Michael F Lavelle)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:23:09 -0600
--=_alternative 007AFF6C86257117_=

Eliza,
        Oracle can allow you to perform a hot backup to disk or other
device.  The RMAN to disk is cheap and does not require a NetBackup
license.  As long as any problem which requires a partial or complete
restore from the RMAN catalog does not affect the disk your RMAN image
exists on, and that image has not been aged out and purged, then this is
fast and convenient.  The problem is once the RMAN image you need to
recover from no longer exists on disk, yet a normal Standard or Windows
NBU backup type has copied this to tape, you have to recover the entire
RMAN image from tape to present the RMAN image to the RMAN catalog to then
perform the RMAN reciovery.

        The NetBackup Database Agent for Oracle allows hot RMAN backups
directly to tape.  The RMAN catalog can then reference the RMAN image on
tape and the DBA can recover directly from tape.  That tape image is part
of the RMAN repository (catalog).  There is no disconnect between the RMAN
image on tape and the RMAN repository.  You do not need to provide disk
space for the number of historical RMAN images.  You and the DBA could
decide to eliminate this portion of disk storage entirely.
        Where RMAN to tape is implemented, our DBAs still prefer to run
both RMAN to disk, as well as RMAN to tape.

        Also, under Oracle 10 and 11, RMAN incrementals appear to be a
realized and useful implementation.  It is possible to perform weekly RMAN
full backups, with incrementals in between.

        Take a look at
http://www.shobizevents.com/vision2005/presentations/4.45pm-%20Oracle%20Backup_paulmassigila.pdf

Michael F Lavelle
CIT Storage Engineering
100 Abbott Park Rd
AP14B-1 GB16
Abbott Park, IL 60064-6042
Office (847) 937-1195
Cell (847) 878-0914
Michael.F.Lavelle AT abbott DOT com

"Eliza Yam" <eyam AT hotmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
02/16/2006 03:59 PM