Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up Remote Sites

2006-02-16 09:14:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up Remote Sites
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:14:16 +0000
Did you put much time into tuning the TCP/IP parameters for the "Bandwidth
Delay Product" over the link?   I've been doing a lot of reading about TCP
tuning and a lot of it seems to relate to WAN link tuning for performance.
 Basically keeping the pipe full by turning on window scaling and setting
an appropriate TCP window size.   People report very large improvements
after playing around with the settings, but it does depend on having
separate WAN interfaces for backups to e.g. the interface used for short
packets like telnet or a web server.

I don't have any WAN links to deal with, I'm just trying to get the most
out of the GbE and 100Mbps LAN.   Mind bending stuff, especially as each
Windows version changes the way  it works.

I would be interested if anyone has worked out what works and what does
not.

William D L Brown

"Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
16-Feb-2006 13:05

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
RE: [Veritas-bu] Backing up Remote Sites

We have 5 remote offices, each with 1 unix file server that's backed up,
and 0 IT staff.
We back them up with a nightly incremental, a weekly synthetic, and a full
once a month. (about 24 hours for a full ~20 Gigs)
They get backed up to a small DSSU sitting on a couple concatenated local
drives, and staged to tape daily.

Works great.

I agree, something like the tacit system would be nice.

Paul