Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do you use disk staging and NBU 6.0? if so, READ THIS!!

2006-02-11 11:19:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do you use disk staging and NBU 6.0? if so, READ THIS!!
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:19:48 -0600
Do you use disk staging and NBU 6.0?

We are testing this out, and have discovered a bug that can
unfortunately lead to tapes expiring before they should.  This is a
Very Bad Thing (tm), because those tapes can get re-used and at that
point there is data that has been overwritten.

The support case we opened with Veritas about this led to
confirmation that this is a bug introduced in NB 6.0 when they made
some kind of performance improvement for disk to tape duplication.

I got the impression that Veritas only just recently discovered this
bug themselves, and I was assured that this issue is going to be
announced to the user community as a "tech alert" ASAP, but I am
taking it upon myself to get the word out on this list now, mainly
because there is a VERY VERY EASY proactive workaround that
will stop this problem from occurring.

Here's the important facts that I got from Veritas.
Affects any duplication operation from disk to tape  (including vault
or disk staging)
Affects ONLY 6.0 or 6.0.1  (fix will be in 6.0.2 which comes out
sometime in March?)
There is a VERY VERY EASY workaround:

Create a file named NODTTSDUP in the /usr/openv/netbackup
directory of your master and media servers

This NODTTSDUP file disables the 6.0 performance improvement
feature that is responsible for the bug.  The only negative effect of
creating this file is that disk to tape duplication performance will
not be as fast.

-brian