Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog Backups for Disaster Recovery

2006-02-10 10:21:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Backups for Disaster Recovery
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:21:15 -0600
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:05:48PM -0000, WEAVER, Simon wrote:

> Yes will never see a Cat Backup queue - reason being is it waits until all
> scheduled jobs are completed.
> Also, if you attempt to run a Cat backup during a normal policy backup, I
> believe it will wait.

It won't - you can force a catalog backup to run any time you want.  In
our environment, backups are *always* running.  The last time NetBackup
ran a catalog backup during idle backups was last summer.  A catalog
backup in an inconsistent state is better than no catalog backup at all.

NetBackup 6.0 is supposed to be much better at this and you can schedule
catalog backups any time you want and consistency is ensured.  I haven't
seen 6 yet (waiting for MP2 at the end of March) but this is one feature
I'm really looking forward to.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA