Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 2 backup masters in one environment.

2006-02-02 13:39:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 2 backup masters in one environment.
From: omar0517 AT optonline DOT net (omar0517 AT optonline DOT net)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:39:46 -0500
hello all,

The problem I am having is architectural.     here it goes.....

I have 4 oracle db servers running Solaris 8 netbackup client version
4.5FP7.  Our Netbackup environment is outsourced to our hosting provider and
they currently are backing up to tape.  I would like to purchase netbackup 6
(only because it's the latest, it doesn't have to be this version) and
backup the same 4 db servers to disk.  the problem is that the outsourced
hosting provider who manages the netbackup 'network' will not add my disk
based backup solution into the mix.  What are my options if I want to keep
their setup and add another environment on my own and backup the same 4 db
servers.

1. can I have 2 backup master servers backing up the same client (as long as
the schedules don't conflict) with the 2 servers NOT knowing about each
other.

2. if not, can I have 2 media servers backing up the same client?  I could
probably get away with asking the hosting provider to add my server in their
mix as a media server and I'll connect my disk based hardware appliance to
it.