Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to determine which drive was used for backup

2006-02-02 13:18:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to determine which drive was used for backup
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:18:08 -0600
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:42:32AM -0700, Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com wrote:
> A backup can use more than one tape drive, as the fragments are written,
> they can span tapes. Netbackup makes no attempt to mount the next tape to be
> written on the same device as the previous tape.

Not only does NetBackup make no attempt to mount the next tape on the
same tape drive, it actually appears to make explicit attempts *NOT* to
do that.  We've always seen NetBackup rotate jobs to the next drive so
that you don't end up beating your first tape drive into the ground.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org