Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Reclaimation

2006-01-30 05:49:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Reclaimation
From: dean.deano AT gmail DOT com (Dean)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:49:27 +1100
------=_Part_10324_31493029.1138618167176

Coming from a mainframe background, I'd have to say that TSM-style
"reclamation", or DFHSM-style "recycle", is something that would be very
helpful in NetBackup. Compared to TSM and DFHSM, NBU is very inefficient in
it's tape usage, as David points out below. Of course, this reclamation doe=
incur a fair processing overhead.

I know of shops that try to tape reclamation via scriptiing, but it's far
from reliable. It would be nice to have the option built into NBU.

/rant

On 1/27/06, David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> wrote:

> * Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com> [2006-01-26
> 09:05]:
> > Your only way to do this is to duplicate the images from partially
> filled
> > tapes to a consolidated pool, then delete the original images.
> >
> > I suppose you could automate this so that it's TSM-like.
> >
> > However, since Netbackup, by default, only groups like retentions on a
> tape,
> > all images on a tape should expire at roughly the same, eliminating the
> need
> > to consolidate.
>
> That doesn't really hold up, though. if you have a tape with a 1 year
> retention on it, and write a backup to it every week, the only way you
> will get it back is if it fills up completely so that nothing else can
> write to it.  You have to remember that NetBackup does not use space on
> the tape that been vacated by earlier images until ALL images have
> expired.  Plus, just because the default is to group same retention
> doesn't mean that you _can't_ mix retentions.  If you change the
> retention of ONE of the images to a longer retention, the tape won't be
> reclaimed until that one image expires.
>
> --
> David Rock
> david AT graniteweb DOT com

------=_Part_10324_31493029.1138618167176

Coming from a mainframe background, I'd have to say that TSM-style &quot;re=
clamation&quot;, or DFHSM-style &quot;recycle&quot;, is something that woul=
d be very helpful in NetBackup. Compared to TSM and DFHSM, NBU is very inef=
ficient in it's tape usage, as David points out below. Of course, this recl=
amation does incur a fair processing overhead.
's far from reliable. It would be nice to have the option built into NBU.<b=
s=3D"gmail_sendername">
David Rock</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT
com">dave-bu@granit=
eweb.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"bo=
rder-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding=
-left: 1ex;">
* <a href=3D"mailto:Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com">Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT
com</a> &l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com">Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT
com</a>&gt=
; [2006-01-26 09:05]:<br>&gt; Your only way to do this is to duplicate the =
images from partially filled
&gt;<br>&gt; I suppose you could automate this so that it's TSM-like.<br>&g=
t;<br>&gt; However, since Netbackup, by default, only groups like retention=
s on a tape,
gh. if you have a tape with a 1 year<br>retention on it, and write a backup=
 to it every week, the only way you
br>write to it.&nbsp;&nbsp;You have to remember that NetBackup does not use=
 space on<br>the tape that been vacated by earlier images until ALL images =
have<br>
expired.&nbsp;&nbsp;Plus, just because the default is to group same retenti=
on<br>doesn't mean that you _can't_ mix retentions.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you chang=
e the<br>retention of ONE of the images to a longer retention, the tape won=
't be<br>reclaimed until that one image expires.
com">david@g=
itas-bu maillist&nbsp;&nbsp;-&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href=3D"mailto:Veritas-bu@mailm=
an.eng.auburn.edu">Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
</a><br><a href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-b=