Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] anyone using Sun/Qlogic HBAs and LTO2/3 tapes?

2006-01-25 13:35:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] anyone using Sun/Qlogic HBAs and LTO2/3 tapes?
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:35:30 +0000
Indeed in our test lab I've used the Qlogic card with the QLogic driver,
which is what ADIC recommend.  No issues at all but I don't have enough
hardware to test SSO intensively.    The latest Qlogic driver is
dynamically reconfigurable - it says - as long as you use their tools to
do so, and apparently you can *either* use the tools *or* edit the
qla2300.conf file but not both.

The reason we use the qlc driver is the the ability to add LUNs without a
reboot - i.e. we don't have to work through getting business approval when
we need extra LUNs to expand a VxVM volume.  That is important.

I note now that the is a Sun-branded Emulex HBA (and now support for
non-OEM Emulex cards), under the Sun SAN package - uses the Leadville
stack but a different driver underneath.  It does allow access to the
driver configuration (like ADISC) but should use cfgadm to manage it.  May
be a good solution but I hate 'new' things.

So in summary if you are not using the Sun HBAs for disk, editing the
driver-aliases to allow it to load the qla2300 driver may be good for
tapes.  If you are using qlc for disks and need that no-reboot function it
is not so easy.  It does work, I just reckon it is fragile and in our case
lacks vendor support  - which I will have to do something about.

William D L Brown