Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media id's not appearing in NB media database

2006-01-25 09:34:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media id's not appearing in NB media database
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:34:44 -0500
The problem that the original poster was/is having, is that the media in
question exists in the volume database on the master server, but not in
any media database. This means, that unless his scratch pool is MISPD,
this tape will never be utilized in its current state, since it is
marked "assigned".

All that he needs to do in this case, is vmquery -m <mediaid> to get the
pool and status, then vmquery -deassignbyid <media id> <vol pool>  0
(zero, not the letter o)

What you need to be careful of when databases get out of sync, is that
you have media which contains live images in the image database, but has
no corresponding volume/media databse entry. This means, that the tape
is effectively a scratch tape and is readily available to NBU.

When I find these, I immediately move them to a volume pool called
"SAFE". None of our policies are configured to use the SAFE pool,
therefore, I won't run the risk of having these images overwritten. I
let them sit in the volume pool until they expire, at which time, they
will return to the scratch pool.

Another iteration of loss of sync, is media with entries in the image
and volume databases, but not corresponding entry in any media database.
In these cases, I just let them be, until such time that I need to use
the tape for a restore, at which time I do a Phase 1 import, which
returns it to the media server that it belongs to. Otherwise, I just let
the images expire and return to the scratch pool.

Last, there are cases where a piece of media has entries in the volume
and media databases, but not the image databases. What I want ot do in
these cases, is return these tapes to the scratch pool. Sometimes they
are simply frozen. Otherwise, it can be a little tricky, since it's
possible that the volume pool numbers don't match. If they do, I run:

bpexpdate -m <mediaid> -d 0 -justmedia -force

If the volume pools don't match, I run:

vmquery -m <mediaid> to get the pool and status, then vmquery
-deassignbyid  <media id> <vol pool>  0 (zero, not the letter o)

HTH,

--Steve

Barber, Layne (Contractor) wrote:

> Tried the vmquery and here is what I got
>
>vmquery -m dou079
>Could not query by media ID DOU079: volume does not exist in database
>(35)

===================================

    Steven L. Sesar
    Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
    UNIX Application Services R10A
    The MITRE Corporation
    202 Burlington Road - KS101
    Bedford, MA 01730