Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAP Backup with NetBackup on Solaris/Windows

2006-01-18 14:30:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAP Backup with NetBackup on Solaris/Windows
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:30:23 -0500
--=_alternative 006B26E1852570FA_=

Song,

All of our SAP databases are Oracle, we use RMAN and the Netbackup Oracle
agent for our on-line backups to tape.
We found this to be far faster than using the SAP agent.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Infrastructure Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Song, Young" <Young.Song AT NOVELLUS DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
01/18/2006 01:53 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] SAP Backup with NetBackup on Solaris/Windows

I have a lot of Solaris & Windows machines that run SAP on Oracle or SQL
Server. For less mission-critical test and development SAP instances, I'd
like to find out what methods other people out there among NetBackup users
use to back them up "online" to either disk or tapes.

Is using the standard NetBackup SAP agent software the only option for its
online consistent backup and restoration? Or, can anyone share other more
cost-effective way? Each NetBackup SAP agent license per host seems to be
quite expensive.

Thanks in advance!

- Young

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.

--=_alternative 006B26E1852570FA_=

we use RMAN and the Netbackup Oracle agent for our on-line backups to
tape.</font>
using the SAP agent.</font>
Carl Stehman<br>
IT Infrastructure Team<br>
Pepco Holdings, Inc.<br>
202-331-6619<br>
Pager 301-765-2703<br>
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com</font>
&lt;Young.Song AT NOVELLUS DOT com&gt;</b> </font>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>
edu</font>
on Solaris/Windows</font></table>
I have a lot of Solaris &amp; Windows machines that run SAP on Oracle or
SQL<br>
Server. For less mission-critical test and development SAP instances, I'd<br>
like to find out what methods other people out there among NetBackup users<br>
use to back them up &quot;online&quot; to either disk or tapes.<br>
Is using the standard NetBackup SAP agent software the only option for
its<br>
online consistent backup and restoration? Or, can anyone share other more<br>
cost-effective way? Each NetBackup SAP agent license per host seems to
be<br>
quite expensive.<br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
- Young<br>