Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup w/ Robot WITHOUT Barcode Reader

2006-01-17 12:24:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup w/ Robot WITHOUT Barcode Reader
From: thoke AT northpeak DOT org (Tim Hoke)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:24:00 -0600
I'd suggest that you do a vmadd (or GUI) to add all the volumes and
ensure their slots are correct.  Then bplabel (or right click and label
from the GUI) them.  Once they've all got labels, you can use vmphyinv
to physically inventory the robot.

If it's a large robot with lots of tapes and you'd like to skip the
bplabel option, ensure all the tapes are in the right slots and then
just initiate backups.  NetBackup will automatically label the tape to
match what it has in the volume database.  But make sure that if
NetBackup thinks tape ABC123 is in slot 1 and XYZ789 is in slot 2
that's where they really are.  If they're swapped, you'll end up with
ABC123 on the outside of the tape and XYZ789 on the inside.  This
scenario isn't too bad with just 2 tapes, but with lots of tapes, it's
REALLY ugly.

HTH
-TIm